Thursday, November 17, 2011

Author Kelley Armstrong Q&A at Hal-Con 2011

Author Kelley Armstrong Q&A at Hal-Con 2011

What a special opportunity for fans of Kelley Armstrong to ask this famous writer anything their hearts desire about her books, characters and writing process at the Q&A at Hal-Con 2011. I knew of Kelley's immense popularity  and thought many of our podcast listeners would want me to report on the Q&A session, so I made sure to attend it for you!

Author Kelley Armstrong Q&A at Hal-Con 2011
Shannon is a big fan and our mom is a HUGE fan, she has literally read every single thing Kelley has written

Kelley was at her booth before the Q&A and I was so tempted to speak with her but felt like a bit of a goof for not having read her books. I struggled with what to do but in the end decided it was important to tell her how much Shannon and mom loved her books. She was lovely! When I asked her if she had any new books for sale that would make my mom happy she just gave me a copy of Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions!

Not only that, she autographed it and a whole bunch of bookmarks too. I walked away absolutely stunned by her generosity. My mom was going to FREAK!



I found out that normally she bribes people who come to her table with her complimentary books to make sure that she has people asking her questions! So I of course had to go up there and ask her if she believed in the supernatural on behalf of our podcast Hexed. It was only fair!

One fan asked Kelley which author had influenced her as a paranormal writer and she mentioned Stephen King. She said that he had the ability to make supernatural natural. She learned from him to focus on character and to really care about each and every one of them.

She also spoke about how traditionally the supernatural creature is always seen as bad and is almost always the villain. She had the idea to turn it around and turn them into protagonists. It was at this moment I started to think that I might just have to read her books because I absolutely love that idea. Hope my fibro brain can do it!



In this video Kelley talks about her Other World Series and shares information about the other projects she is currently working on. Earlier she spoke of how much she loves her job and that she still can't believe she gets to stay home and write about the paranormal. It is true, how fantastic is that?

Author Kelley Armstrong Q&A at Hal-Con 2011

The most shocking moment of the night for me was discovering that HarperCollins wanted to enforce a morality clause on their young adult authors! I am still having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. I suppose they did not want the authors to set a bad example for their young readers but that is ridiculous! I am happy to report that the writers fought it and are now "morality free!"

Kelley was very entertaining and you could tell by the questions from the girls and women that came to the mic that she is a huge inspiration to them, in many ways. I think there were a lot of women in that audience who wanted to be just like Kelley and write about the paranormal. Who wouldn't?

No comments: